Sunday 4 May 2014

Meet the Teacher- Samantha Scarlett


Samantha Scarlett
 Meet the Teacher


I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to you and share with you what is happening this term.  My name is Samantha Scarlett, and I am very excited to be the new teacher of your child and Room 14. I have come from Activboard NZ where I have been training teachers nationwide to use interactive technologies in the classroom to facilitate learning. Previous to this I enjoyed a classroom teacher position at Titirangi Primary School. I have lived out west all of my life, so I’m very pleased to be returning to the classroom in a West Auckland school. It is a community I enjoy being a part of very much.
Coming up this term our topic is called ‘Wiggly Squiggly worms’ where we will be learning about waste wise and caring for the environment; things such as compost, reusing, worm bins and recycling. We also have an exciting trip planned to the Transfer Station which will help kick start our topic. I’m very excited about our topic as it’s a great opportunity for the children to learn about their environment and ways they can enjoy and preserve it. At the end of the unit they get to make their very own worm farm!

Other interests of mine include Rreading and Literacy. Dr Seuss is definitely a favourite children’s author of mine and I hope to integrate his books into my classroom programme. I also enjoy Mathematics, teaching number and I love it when children finally ‘click’ on the strategies we have been practising in class. Art, PE and also ICT are strengths and passions of mine and I look forward to sharing this with the children- we will be focusing on all three of these for this term also.

I am really looking forward to getting to know all the children.  I am sure that all of us will learn a lot in the upcoming months!   I will send home information to keep you informed and up-to-date on what the children are doing in the classroom, as well as what you can do with your child at home to provide additional practice in certain areas.

 I hope to make this transition between teachers as smooth as possible for everyone. As I’m still getting to know the children and finding out for myself where there learning is at, I will be doing some additional testing this week to help with this. A reader will be coming home from today and I will be sending their new spelling lists and basic facts from next week.

Please be assured that I will do my best to make this school year an enjoyable time for your child, and a time filled with real learning.
If you ever have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Samantha Scarlett                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment